The National Junior Honor Society is an organization that gathers students from grades 7– 9 who are committed to excellence. Membership is an honor bestowed upon an American Nicaraguan School student who demonstrates excellence in Scholarship, Character, Service, Leadership, and Citizenship.
The National Junior Honor Society holds monthly meetings. Currently, our Chapter performs community service activities and supports the school administration, as well as other school student organizations in their efforts to improve the school and the community at large.
As an international chapter, the American Nicaraguan School’s Xolotlan Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society requires interested applicants to apply directly for membership. Each Chapter sets its own standards for membership within the framework established by the national chapter. An independent Faculty Council is charged with reviewing the applications and selecting each year’s inductees. The NJHS advisor does not have a vote. In order for a student to be considered for membership, the following is required:
- The Student must have been a member of the ANS community for at least one semester.
- A minimum 3.50 cumulative GPA.
- Engagement and dispositions of 2 or above.
- A complete application form.
- An essay, maximum of 1000 words, on one of the following topics:
- Describe why the student wants to join the Society.
- Discuss how your membership in NJHS will enhance the ANS community.
- Three teacher recommendations as per the application form (One from a Mathematics/Science teacher, one from an English/Social Studies teacher, and one from a club advisor/sports trainer/mentor). The student must send the Teacher Recommendation Google Form directly to the teachers. These must be requested to your teachers no later than October 3rd.
- The Student must demonstrate a history of Community Service and Leadership engagement.
- At the discretion of the Faculty Council, an interview may be requested. (Qualifying students will be called for an appointment)
Following the guidelines set by the American Nicaraguan School’s Xolotlan Chapter of the National Honor Society, a student’s GPA is the first consideration (First fill out the form stating your interest to apply, in order to confirm that you meet the minimum cumulative GPA 3.5 and Engagement/Dispositions of 2 or above before applying, no later than September 1st, 2023). Once it has been determined that a student meets the GPA requirement, the student can proceed to fill out the application Google Forms, the remaining application components can be used to evaluate the applicant.
In order to be considered for membership in the American Nicaraguan School’s Xolotlan Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society, applicants must provide evidence of the following:
- Scholarship: Must be equal to or greater than a 3.50 on a 4.0 scale, and Engagement and Dispositions of 2 or above.
- Service: “This quality is defined through the voluntary contributions made by a student to the school community, done without compensation and with a positive, courteous, and enthusiastic spirit.”
- Leadership: “Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, promoters of school activities, idea-contributors, dependable, and persons who exemplify positive attitudes about life. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others.”
- Character: “A student of good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others, and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle.”
- Citizenship: “The student who demonstrates citizenship understands the importance of civic involvement, has a high regard for freedom, justice, and democracy, and demonstrates mature participation and responsibility through involvement in church organizations, community organizations, and school clubs.”
Google Form Applications must be submitted by: October 6th, 2023, end of day.
Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your application soon.
Mrs. Thelma Flores