The National Honor Society is an organization that gathers students from grades 10– 12 who are committed to excellence. Membership is an honor bestowed upon an American Nicaraguan School student who demonstrates excellence in Scholarship, Character, Leadership, and Service.
The National Honor Society holds monthly meetings. Currently, our Chapter performs community service activities and supports the school administration, as well as other school student organizations in their efforts to improve the school and the community at large.
As an international chapter, the American Nicaraguan School’s Quetzalcoatl Chapter of the National Honor Society requires interested applicants to apply directly for membership. Each Chapter sets its own standards for membership within the framework established by the national chapter. An independent Faculty Council is charged with reviewing the applications and selecting each year’s inductees. The NHS advisor does not have a vote. In order for a student to be considered for membership, the following is required:
- The Student must have been a member of the ANS community for at least one semester.
- A minimum 3.50 cumulative GPA.
- Engagement and Dispositions of 2 or above.
- A complete application form.
- An essay, maximum of 1000 words, on one of the following topics:
- Describe a personal event that has had a significant impact on your life, and explain how it allowed you to grow on the NHS Pillars of Scholarship, Service, Leadership and Character.
- Explain how you have demonstrated the NHS Pillars of Scholarship, Service, Leadership and Character through your secondary years, and what you can contribute to NHS.
- If you could found and lead a club at School, what would it be and how will it align with the NHS Pillars of Scholarship, Service, Leadership and Character?
- Three teacher recommendations as per the application form (One from a Mathematics/Science Teacher, One from an English/Social Studies Teacher, and one from a Club Advisor/Sports Trainer/Mentor). The student must send the Teacher Recommendation Google Form directly to the teachers. These must be requested to your teachers no later than October 3rd.
- The Student must demonstrate a history of Community Service and Leadership engagement.
- At the discretion of the Faculty Council, an interview may be requested. (Qualifying students will be called for an appointment).
Following the guidelines set by the American Nicaraguan School’s Quetzalcoatl Chapter of the National Honor Society, a student’s GPA is the first consideration (First fill out the form stating your interest to apply, in order to confirm that you meet the minimum cumulative GPA 3.5 and Engagement of 2 or above before applying, no later than September 1st, 2023). Once it has been determined that a student meets the GPA requirement, the student can proceed to fill out the application Google Forms, the remaining application components can be used to evaluate the applicant.
In order to be considered for membership in the American Nicaraguan School’s Quetzalcoatl Chapter of the National Honor Society, applicants must provide evidence of the following:
- Scholarship: Must be equal to or greater than a 3.50 on a 4.0 scale and Dispositions of 2 or above.
- Service: “This quality is defined through the voluntary contributions made by a student to the school community, done without compensation and with a positive, courteous, and enthusiastic spirit.”
- Leadership: “Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, promoters of school activities, idea-contributors, dependable, and persons who exemplify positive attitudes about life. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others.”
- Character: “A student of good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others, and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle.”
Google Forms Applications and Teacher Recommendations must be submitted by: October 6th, 2023, end of day.
Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your application soon.
Mr. Rodrigo Diaz
|President: Michelle Mayorga|
Vice President: Rami Khatib, Monica Molina
Treasurer: Dayoung Oh
Parliamentarian: Diana Ha
|Juan Pablo Arguello Martinez|
Sofía Carolina Avendaño Orozco
Rene de Jesus Bequillard Delgado
Celso Miguel Castro Martinez III
Iwen Aleyda Cheng Tellez
Lucia Marie de Villers Sequeira
Maria Agustina Downing Balladares
Natalia Maria Engracia Gomez Rizo
Hannah Kuhlmann Alvarado
Andrea Lanuza Sanint
Dasha Alexandra Prado Pineda
Diana Valeria Prado Sandoval
Emilia Yaoska Rathwick Tijerino
Melissa Maria Solorzano Chamorro
Leonardo John Spiro Ramos
Paulina Taboada Cuadra
Esteban Federico Toledo Fiedler
Luciana Arguello Tercero
Diego Ingacio Caldera Sequeira
Daniela Isabel Castillo Delgadillo
Mariana Isabel Cerna Lacayo
Sofia Vanessa Coe Robelo
Marcela Eugenia Coronel Robelo
Lucianna Sofia Gonzalez Mansell
Mia Fernanda Gutierrez Mendieta
April Isabella Jerez Olivas
Thelma Lanuza Sanint
Alexa Maria Lopez Knoepffler
Verónica Navarrete Cevada
Gian Carlo Palazio Guirola
Manuel Antonio Zeledon Aguilar
Jenifer Susan Zou Zhong
Ethan Julius Abisellan
Daniela Sofía Argüello Martínez
Eugenia Lucia Ayala Guirola
Melissa Marcela Carcache Ortega
Marielisa Castillo Kloth
Liang Wen Anthony Cheng Tellez
Mayte Maria Cruz Blandon
Claire ElizabethKetelhohn Clancy
Erick Enrique Lagos Melendez
Yuslly Lin Feng
Jania Belen Mendoza Torrez
Cassandro David Roque
Jose Eduardo Stadthagen
Lily Fernanda Stephens Halleslevens
Meizi Monica Zou Zhong