Get to know us!
Middle School Counselor
College and Guidance Counselor
Ana Patricia Gil
Learning Support Counselor
High School Counselor
Counselors are available to advise students at all levels, whether a student seeks counsel about academic or personal issues. The team is composed of five counselors: one in Middle School, one in High School, two College Counselors, and one Learning Support.
The following are among the specific ways that counselors contribute to support the student body:
- Counselors work with administration, faculty, and parents to assist in maintaining the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual well-being of our students.
- Prepare and administer the Secondary Wellness Program.
- Provide learning support and curricular accommodations to students with diagnosed learning differences through the Learning Support Program.
- Attend academic meetings to provide valuable perspective and gather information that will assist with students’ progress.
- Assist in the delivery of learning strategies and study skills on individual and group levels.
- Conduct programs designed to assist with career decision making and post secondary (college) program selection and application.
- Develop the master schedule, course selection, and scheduling process.
- Organize and administer PSAT’s and AP’s and assist in the interpretation of results with individual students.
*It is important to note that school counselors do not provide individual psychological counseling.
- October 19, 2018 – Managing Money
- October 5, 2018 – Addiction to Video Games
- September 21, 2018 – Healthy Eating
- September 14, 2018 – How to break bad habits
- August 25, 2018 – How to Cope with Crisis Situations / Como Enfrentar Situaciones de Crisis
- March 23, 2018 – Family Meals
- February 2, 2018 – Teen Corner – Disrespectul Behavior/Comportamiento Irrespetuoso
- January 26, 2018 – Teen Corner: Raising Independent Teenagers/Educando Adolescentes Independientes
- November 17, 2017 – Teen Corner – Parenting as a united front/La crianza como un frente unido
- November 11, 2017 – Teen Corner – Parenting Styles/Estilos de Crianza
- October 21, 2017 – Understanding your teen/Entendiendo a su adolescente
- October 8, 2017 – Teens and Boundaries/Adolescentes y los límites
- September 22, 2017 – Engaging in Positive Dialogue with your Teen/ Participando en dialogo positivo con tu adolescente
- September 8, 2017 – The Resilient Teenager / El/la Adolescente Resiliente
- August 25, 2017 – Hot Water Challenge/El Reto de Agua Hirviendo
- May 26, 2017 – Meaningful Summer Activities
- May 5, 2017-13 Reasons Why and the Blue Whale Challenge
“13 Reasons Why” (Netflix show)
- ‘13 Reasons Why’ depicts a graphic suicide. Experts say there’s a problem with that (available in English)
- Especialistas en Estados Unidos critican representación de suicidio en ’13 Reasons Why’ (available in Spanish)
- 13 Reasons Why Talking Points (document attached with talking points for parents from the JED Foundation)
Blue Whale Challenge
- Blue Whale: Should you be worried about online pressure groups? (available in English)
- Qué es el peligroso juego de “La ballena azul” y por qué preocupa a las autoridades (available in Spanish)
- April 21, 2017-Environmental Awareness
- March 30, 2017-Teenage Friendships
- Teenage Friendships (English)
- Amistades en adolescentes: ¿cómo influyen en su desarrollo? (Spanish)
- ‘Frenemies’ and toxic friendships (English)
- Qué hacer si no te gustan los amigos de tu hijo (Spanish)
- March 17, 2017-Social and Emotional Development and Ethical Teens/Desarrollo Social y Emocional y la Ética en la Adolescencia
- March 2, 2017
- Teenagers and communication (available in English)
- Cinco claves para entenderte con tu hijo adolescente _Descubre cómo conseguir una buena comunicación (available in Spanish)
- Cómo mantener la calma con tu hijo adolescente_Consejos para que la vida familiar siga siendo apacible (available in Spanish)
- February 16, 2017 – Self confidence
- Adolescence and Self-Confidence
- Formas de mejorar la autoestima de su hijo adolescente (also available in English)
- November 30, 2016-Peer Pressure and Peer Influence
- Peer Pressure explained through research based studies:Teenagers, Friends, and Bad Decisions
- Tips on helping your teenager deal with peer pressure and peer influence: Peer Pressure and Influence: Teenagers
- Addressed to teens but it will give you great pointers to use as a conversation starter with your teen:Peer Pressure (available in English and Spanish)
- November 15 – Substance use and abuse
- November 3, 2016 – How can I help my stressed out teen?
- October 7, 2016-Planning for the Future
- September 23, 2016-PPP from Parent School and Family Media Agreement
- September 9, 2016-Growth Mindset and Intrinsic Motivation
- May 19-Teen Corner-Benefits of Community Service
- May 6-Internet Safety
- April 22-Assertive Communication
- April 7-Healthy Social Relationships
- March 17-Raising Compassionate Teens
- March 4-Sex education at home
- February 19-Emotional Intelligence
Secondary Wellness Program Description
As part of our continual school growth, ANS will also reinforce the Social Emotional Learning of students through a stand-alone program. The goal of the Wellness program at ANS aims to empower students with information and tools in order to make sound decisions about their Health and Well Being, before or when they are faced with at risk situations.
Units to be covered:
- Healthy Eating and Fitness
- Personal Safety and Injury Prevention
- Substance Use, Addictions and Related Behaviors
- Human Development and Sexual Health
The program will be delivered by grade level with age appropriate information based on the students’ mental and physical development.