World News

Terrorist Group Beheads More Than 50 People in Mozambique

Conflict in the small province of Cabo Delgado, Mozambique, has been escalating since the beginning of 2020, with high numbers of displacement and urgent humanitarian needs. 

 

The violence in the small province of Mozambique also lacks humanitarian assistance, with many aid NGOs facing multiple challenges to reach the affected people. The most recent attack took place on November 9. Mozambique’s gas-rich coastal province of Cabo Delgado suffered from widespread violence this past week. Mozambican police concluded that 50 people had been rounded up and beheaded on a soccer pitch in town. During the attacks, women and children were reported kidnapped, and villages were extracted and set on fire by militant Islamists linked to ISIS. Civilians, especially women and children, have endured mass human rights violations that include brutal attacks and kidnapping. Villagers describe the scene as a football pitch turned into a massacre.

 

This event has been a mass shock to Mozambicans; not only have many people been murdered, but about 430,000 have been left homeless in the conflict. During this crisis, the United Nations (UN), a humanitarian organization, has taken urgent action to protect the civilians displaced in Cabo Delgado. The beheadings are the most recent, yet not the first series of violent attacks that the militants have carried out in Cabo Delgado. The attacks are said to have begun on October 31 and lasted several days. The violence has displaced more than 350,000 people over the last three years, the UN says.

 

The Mozambican government has taken a different approach towards protecting their people; they have denied reports of the mass beheading by militant Islamists in the northern Cabo Delgado province. The governor in Cabo Delgado Valige Tauabo argued that there hadn’t been any sorts of killings in the province, completely contrary to reports. The Islamist extremists call themselves Ahlu Sunnah Wa-jama and have been attacking since 2017. Since that date, around 500 people have been killed, and many of them violently beheaded. 

Mozambique police: Islamists behead 50 people in troubled province | News | DW | 09.11.2020

Categories: World News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *