ANS Global Studies Academy FAQ
Who is eligible to enroll in the Global Studies Academy?
High School students may declare their participation in the Global Studies Academy beginning in their 9th grade year.All students enrolled in the program must maintain good academic standing in all subjects during his or her time at ANS, and demonstrate behavior that reflects the expectations of ANS students.
Does a Global Studies student receive a special Global Studies certificate?
Yes. A Global Studies Academy student will receive special Global Studies certificate along with his or her ANS diploma upon graduation. If applicable, a student may also receive their Nicaraguan Bachillerato diploma.
What are the specific requirements for the Global Studies Academy?
- Students must declare their interest in pursuing the Global Studies Academy Certificate by the beginning of their junior year in high school.
- Students must meet all of the regular requirements for graduation from ANS.
- Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to receive the certificate upon graduation from ANS.
- Students must complete A Community Capstone Project prior to graduation.
- Students must participate in at least one international travel experience organized by ANS.
- Participation in HACIA Democracy, Model United Nations, International Negotiations Project, or a summer global travel experience organized by ANS satisfies this component of the certificate.
- Students are required to take five courses from the following list.
- Introduction to Global Studies*
- World Religions
- Environmental Science
- Philosophy or Sociology
- French I or Chinese I
- Art in Society
- World Film & Music History
- AP Comparative Politics & Government**
- AP Human Geography**
* All students in the program are required to take Global Studies.
** All students in the program are required to take either AP Comparative Politics & Government OR AP Human Geography.
Note that all GSA courses may not be available every semester.
Who directs and guides student through the the Global Studies Academy?
The High School Principal and the Global Studies Academy Coordinator heads up the Global Studies Academy, under the direction of the Director General. Students will receive guidance for course selection and academic planning from grade level counselors.
Is parental approval required to enroll?
Parental approval is required and is part of the enrollment process.
Is there a GPA requirement associated with the Global Studies Academy?
Yes. A GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for enrollment into the Global Studies Academy. A GPA of 3.0 or higher must be maintained throughout the program in order to receive the Global Studies Diploma at graduation.
If I am not enrolled in the Global Studies Academy, may I take courses within the Academy?
Yes. All courses at ANS are open to all ANS students providing there is no prerequisite required for the course.
How and when do I enroll in the Global Studies Academy?
The enrollment process may take place beginning in 9th grade year. All enrollment forms and other important documents may be acquired through the High School and Student Services offices.
What type of international experience is required for the Global Studies certificate?
Students may chose from a variety of international experiential trips that will begin in the summer of 2013. All ANS sponsored international trips will meet the Global Studies Academy requirements. Each international trip will include a service learning component, possibly a homestay as part of the experience, and will be connected with a course of study prior to the trip.