The Educational Technology Program at ANS is strongly based in Cloud Computing and Web 2.0 Applications. ANS recommends and encourage students to bring Wi-Fi Tablets, Laptops or Net-books as an important part in their educational development.
Some recommended tablets are the following: Apple’s iPad 16GB or iPad 2 16GB or 32GB; other tablets with Android Operating System such as Motorola Xoom or Samsung Galaxy Tab II or Galaxy Note Versions are also recommended. Screen sizes of 9.5 x 7.3 inches minimum are more functional. There are also Tablet-Pc’s and Tablets such as the Microsoft Surface that come with Windows Operating System, these are also functional and supported.
If you are purchasing a new laptop, tablet or net-book we highly recommend you stay with the major, internationally recognized brands. Dell, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Hewlett Packard, Fujitsu, Acer and Apple are all known to make good, reliable machines. Quality can taper off rapidly when you get into the less well-known brands.
Because laptop computers are commonly jostled, and because repairs on laptops tend to be very expensive, we urge you to also purchase a three-year extended warranty. While the Technology Team will attempt to assist your kids with some minor computer problems, we won’t be able to provide hardware support.
Microsoft Windows or Macintosh based Laptop or Netbook computers are more recommended. We do, however, provide basic support for Linux especially for Ubuntu. In order for your laptop to fulfill the basic requirements, it must have the following:
- A modern, Windows-based or Macintosh operating system. Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Mac OSX or higher are the recommended operating systems.
NOTE: Windows 7 and Windows 8 Home Editions will be supported, however, Professional Editions offer more robust networking and security features. Therefore, if you purchase a laptop with Windows 7 or Windows 8, the Professional Edition is strongly suggested.
- A wireless network card that conforms to the 802.11g or 802.11gn specification both for tablets and laptops.
- Browsers: Latest English version of Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari
- Plugins: Latest versions of Flash, Java, Silverlight
- Acrobat PDF Reader 10 or above or Foxit Reader
- Office suite such as MS Office, iWork, OpenOffice 3.2
- VLC Media Player
- Antivirus (Free versions such as AVG, Avast, Avira are sufficient)
- Students should have sufficient rights to update and install appropriate software
Summary of tablet, laptop and netbook recommendations
The specifications below are intended to help guide you in the purchase of a new laptop. You are not required to purchase a laptop that meets or exceeds these specifications, but doing so will help to ensure that your laptop remains useful for more years.
- Tablet device with 1GHz Dual Core Processor and 16 to 32 or more memory on board. Laptop computer with at least a 2.0 GHz standard Intel or AMD processor.
- Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8 Professional are strongly recommended, Mac OSX or higher preferably ver. 10.5.x and above. We strongly recommend purchasing Laptops or Net-books with Professional versions rather than Home Editions.
- An updated antivirus and anti-spyware software is required, especially in PC based computers.
- A 160 gigabytes or larger hard drive minimum.
- At least 2 GB of RAM (memory). This is the corner that most people cut, but we feel at least 1 GB is necessary for your laptop to have a more useful life. It would be better to cut hard drive or processor speed than memory if that’s the case.
- Built in Camera and Microphone are not essential but it will be a plus.
- In the case of Mac laptops the VGA video adapter is required.
- A secure tablet or laptop carrying case.
- Three-year extended warranty. A warranty package usually adds two years parts and labor to the manufacturer’s warranty.